Saturday, December 1, 2007

the contrarian view?

As I get older, I often seem to hold a contrarian view on many topics under discussion by any particular group. I am often surrounded by death penalty advocates, homophobes, climate change skeptics, intelligent design aficianados, free market boosters, and the like. The thing that has puzzled me the most, recently, has been the growing group of birders who don't want to hear about conservation. This really has me baffled.

Many citizens are conservation-oriented far too seldom, and that is an ongoing source of frustration, for me. I keep wondering how we think our "bank account of birds" will stay robust unless we "make deposits and accrue interest" (as a species, we keep "spending the principal", and then are amazed that there is less in the bank every year...).

No comments: