Saturday, November 8, 2008

my favorite book of this year: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle




This book is absolutely wonderful. Barbara Kingsolver is first and foremost a very skillful writer. But that's not the whole reason this book is extraordinary. Beyond her skill is the intimate link to a very immediate and real story of her family, their relatedness to the land, and the choices she and her family made about how they would live for an entire year, eating only local foods, especially those foods that they could grow or raise on their Appalachian farm. Every page is a revelation, even for those of us who may have been aware of some of these facts for years. If you read this book because I recommended it, I will know that I have passed along a rich gift to you. I could not recommend another recent book that is as truly a "joy" as this. Reading, here, is like eating something very good for you - but it is that and much more.

No comments: