Sunday, February 10, 2008

environmental news, shrikes this winter, colder than here

An important online source for environmental news is the truthout.org environment page, which can be found here. See recent news on climate change, effects on polar bears, whaling, forestry, and many other topics at this page.

*********************************************
See a discussion of Northern Shrike numbers this winter at Mike McDowell's blog. I too have been reading frequent posts about the seemingly-high numbers of shrikes this winter. They have appeared in many places away from my locations, however, since I have not yet seen a single one. But I rarely find them in Milwaukee County, in any winter. Oddly enough, I did not find any in the large area I covered on the Kewaunee CBC, where I often do see them. Lack of shrikes that day meant I missed the species for all of 2007. Looking back over old records showed me I have generally seen them in about 9 out of 10 years.

**********************************************

Expand your horizons with blog posts from much colder climes this year - I have especially been reading posts from The House and Other Arctic Musings, and other Nunavut Bloggers.
You think it's cold here in Wisconsin? Well, it's all relative, isn't it? This weekend it rivals some arctic locations.

No comments: