Read Doug Taron's excellent recent post about biodiversity conservation and its rationale here.
Although Doug is not necessarily or exactly leading in this direction, anyone who reads through my set of blog links and thinks about what I write must know that I am a proponent of the philosophy known as deep ecology. If you're curious about this set of organizing principles, check out these links for a little background:
- a simple definition of deep ecology at Wikipedia here
- where it comes from, here (although take care and realize this is only one person's view)
- an outstanding journal of deep ecology, The Trumpeter
- a fine reference, Deep Ecology for the Twenty-first Century
- not exactly the same thing, but a wonderfully wide-ranging journal - Environmental Ethics