Sunday, December 6, 2009

the missing parts of my education

To truly understand environmental problems at both a local and global scale, there were certain pieces of conceptual understanding that I did not have during my undergraduate and postgraduate education. I am chiefly referring here to economics - in particular to environmental or ecological economics. I am currently attempting to address that conceptual lack by going back to the foundations of this discipline. Right now, I am reading a book that provides a foundation in those concepts I previously had missed. I recommend: Beyond Growth, by economist Herman E. Daly. 1996. Beacon Press, Boston. Read it, and you will possibly come to a similar conclusion: solutions to environmental problems without accompanying and integrated economic solutions are not complete solutions.

No comments: